About Boston Metal
Boston Metal is commercializing Molten Oxide Electrolysis (MOE), a tonnage metals technology platform powered by electricity, to decarbonize steelmaking and transform how metals are made. MOE provides the metals industry with a scalable, cost-competitive and green solution for the production of steel and high-value metals from a variety of feedstocks and iron ore grades. Backed by visionary investors and led by a world-class team, Boston Metal is headquartered in Woburn, Massachusetts and has a wholly owned subsidiary in Brazil.
Decarbonize steelmaking and advance efficient, sustainable metals production
Build the foundation of a net-zero future
Look back at how we got to where we are today.
- $20 million Series C2 investment brings the series total to $282 million
- Brazilian subsidiary, Boston Metal do Brasil, opens to launch high-value metals business
- First tap of 25,000-amp MOE cell
- 103 employees
- First commercial agreement signed for ferroalloy production
- Construction of 25,000 sq ft development facility in Woburn, MA
- $25M Series A funding round
- 8 employees
- Patent granted and exclusively licensed by Boston Metal
- First semi-industrial MOE cell commissioned
- Demonstrated MOE produces emissions-free steel
- MIT laboratory results published in Nature
- Boston Metal founded under the name Boston Electrometallurgical Corporation
- MIT professors Donald Sadoway and Antoine Allanore demonstrated lab-scale performance of a metallic inert anode for MOE
- In the early 1980s, Prof. Donald Sadoway’s MIT laboratory began research on an inert anode for aluminum manufacturing. In the late 1980s, he conceived of an electrolytic cell for the production of iron, and molten oxide electrolysis was born. Throughout the 1990s and 2000s, MOE research was extended to other metals before returning to electrolytic steelmaking and again focusing on inert anode technology
Boston Metal is unlocking a future of sustainable metals and green steel production with the commercialization of its patented MOE technology platform.
World-Class Investor Syndicate
We’ve been successful in raising capital from diverse sources spanning private equity, venture capital, institutional investors and strategic investors, demonstrating robust confidence in our ability to transform steel and metals production for a sustainable future.
We’re proud to have our efforts recognized by leading industry organizations, including:
Boston Metal do Brasil
Our Brazilian subsidiary near São João del Rei, Minas Gerais is home to our first commercialization of MOE for high-value metals production.